[html5] Video Security

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Feb 14 01:49:12 PST 2011

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Dmitry Kharlamov wrote:

> We have a premium video content available via subscription. We are
> already using HTML5 video to deliver free videos and are very keen to
> start using it for premium content. However, the main consideration is
> how copy protected we can be using the HTML5 video formats. At the
> moment we are using the RTMP Streaming solution along with Flash DRM
> protection. Is there likely to be or maybe already is something similar
> for the HTML5 video standard?

There is indeed already copy protection available for video content played
using the HTML <video> element. Assuming you are based in the US, you can
find more information about the copy protection available to this content
at the following Web site:

   http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

This copy protection scheme also works for the HTML page, the CSS files,
any JavaScript, and any images you may use as part of the video playback
experience. Similar solutions exist in other countries as well.

HTH,