[html5] HTML5 validator behavior issue

Jacob Kristensen admin at blueboden.com
Tue Jan 18 04:09:13 PST 2011

> What's invalid is writing a page where the CSS matters. For example, if
> you have a game written in HTML and there's a <div> for what the game
> looks like when it's the player's turn and a <div> for what the game looks
> like when the AI is playing, then using CSS to toggle which one is visible
> would be invalid because when CSS was disabled, or in CSS-less browsers,
> the user would see _both_ <div>s all the time.

I see your point, appreciate your response. Of cause making "things make
sense" with CSS disabled,
is always something i would aim for myself, i don't like to have my source
clogged with
stuff that ain't used neither, so i would likely hide it on the server-side
instead.

>You could take out the element of the document altogether while keeping a
>reference to it in javascript. (See the script in
>http://simon.html5.org/html5-elements for an example.)

I don't mind using JavaScript, at present I'd likely prefer it for menus.
But that dosn't matter, i just wanted some clearfication, since it was news
to me.
And SINCE I've seen how often CSS Menus and the like gets preached.

Jacob Kristensen (Aka BlueBoden)
http://blueboden.com/