[html5] <article> for ecommerce product?

Dominic Morgan dom at d3r.com
Wed Jul 20 02:17:48 PDT 2011

Hi,

I notice that the examples in the spec for <article> are very much focussed
around blogs, news, discussion etc. Even the tag name leans towards this.
However, a large part of the web is dedicated to ecommerce, and it seems to
be a little neglected in terms of discussions of semantics.

My question is about how I should be marking up a product or list of
products in HTML5.

>From the spec:

> The article element represents a self-contained composition in a document,
page, application, or site and that is, in principle, independently
distributable or reusable, e.g. in syndication.

To me, this seems to describe a saleable product fairly well. They make
sense as an independent object and are certainly used in syndication. Am I
missing the point here somehow? I can find no mention of the article tag
being used like this (or indeed, what should be used for products).

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dom

P.S.: I know about microformats/data. This is a question specifically about
which HTML5 markup I should be using, not generally about products on the
web.