[html5] <article> for ecommerce product?

Bruce Lawson brucel at opera.com
Wed Jul 20 02:26:39 PDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:17:48 +0100, Dominic Morgan <dom at d3r.com> wrote:

[...]
>> From the spec:
>
>> The article element represents a self-contained composition in a
>> document,
> page, application, or site and that is, in principle, independently
> distributable or reusable, e.g. in syndication.
>
> To me, this seems to describe a saleable product fairly well. They make
> sense as an independent object and are certainly used in syndication. Am
> missing the point here somehow? I can find no mention of the article tag
> being used like this (or indeed, what should be used for products).

I'm not a clever spec-writery person, but I did an HTML5 Doctor simplequiz
about how to mark up products http://html5doctor.com/html5-simplequiz-1/
and concluded that  <article> was the right man for the job, on the basis
of the spec quote you cite (here was my raitionale
http://html5doctor.com/html5-simplequiz-1/#comment-11004)

I can't remember who said it to me, but I find it helps enormously not to
think of article as newspaper articles, but think of it as a synonym for
"item".

YMMV, natch

Bruce Lawson