[html5] "Block" and "inline"

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jul 28 15:25:01 PDT 2011

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Micky Hulse wrote:
> Does the above translate to this(?):
> Inline = Text-level semantics

"Phrasing content" is the term used in the HTML spec now.

> Block = Grouping content

There's no direct equivalent to the old "block". Generally, anything that 
used to be "block" is now "flow content" but _not_ "phrasing content" 
(everything that is "phrasing content" is also "flow content").

> Images, audio, video, and canvas = Embeded content

Yes. They're also "phrasing content" and "flow content".

> Can I still call things block and inline?

The terms don't appear in the HTML spec any more, so as to avoid confusion 
with CSS.

This may help:


Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL
http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
Things that are impossible just take longer.   `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'

More information about the Help mailing list