[html5] <nav> for external links?

Bjartur Thorlacius svartman95 at gmail.com
Sun May 1 09:15:43 PDT 2011

On 4/27/11, Micky Hulse <mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am starting to learn my way around the new HTML5 tags and I had some
> questions about the <nav> tag.
>
> Based on what I have been reading around the net, the <nav> should
> only be used for internal site linking. Is this true?
>
> My situation:
>
> I am building a template for a 3rd-party site which takes on our
> site's branding... Unfortunately, the links have to be absolute in
> order for users to get back to our main site.
>
> Due to the external linking, would <nav> be a no-no?

Whether you use absolute or relative links is irrelevant. The 3rd
party pages form a part of your collection of pages, even though
they're hosted by AP and are identified with another domain.

> If it is not recommended to use <nav> in this situation, should I just
> use a normal div container?
>
> This is for site-wide navigation, for the 3rd-party, so I do plan on
> putting it inside of a <header> element... Which appears to not be a
> problem. :)

A collection of site-wide navigation links seems like plausible
contents of a nav. A collection of links to other pages in a
collection should be contained in nav.

P.S. Sorry for going so far off topic