[html5] <nav> for external links?

Jukka K. Korpela jukka.k.korpela at kolumbus.fi
Sun May 1 11:30:27 PDT 2011

Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:

> I can't speak for your UA's rendering, but on all mainstream
> configurations the title is drawn on the screen, usually on the
> topmost column.

Which means that it appears outside the document.

> Rendering (standard) next and prev links in the footer of a page makes
> sense to me, and sequences of documents are quite common (and thus no
> 'special situation').

Such links are created usign <a href>, just because <link> is not supposed
to be visible. Making elements of <head> visible would be very special,
because then you would make things strongly dependent on CSS and
specifically CSS support for things that aren't widely supported. It would
be rather pointless to put things into invisible elements, instead of
available visible elements, then try to turn them to visible.

> The rel attribute is #IMPLIED in HTML 4.01, but
> required by the W3C HTML5 Working Draft.

It certainly isn't, and it would be absurd to make it required, for several
reasons (including the fact that there are no suitable values defined for
the most common uses of links).

Yucca