[html5] ASP and Random Text Files

Andy Wenk andy at nms.de
Mon May 7 12:46:56 PDT 2012

Hi David,

why not putting the poems (txt format) in a folder structure eg:

+ year
   + month

and refer to them via a link you put into a poems.html page:

<ul>
  <li>
  </li>
</ul>

This would be the simplest way. I guess there is also a way to create
a list with ASP.

But you should also give JavaScript and AJAX a try. A good starting
point would be to use http://www.jquery.com. You could create a simple
data-structure in JavaScript which is corresponding to the folder
structure with the poems. You could open the text-files
(http://api.jquery.com/load/) and put the contents to the page
(http://api.jquery.com/append/, http://api.jquery.com/html/). So you
would have one poems.html page and change the content dynamically with
AJAX and the support of jQuery.

Hope this is kind of a starting point ;-)

Cheers

Andy

On 7 May 2012 21:31, R David Paine III / WeirDave <weirdave at aol.com> wrote:
> I am a casual web developer with simplistic sites that I work on for barter.
> My personal website has been up for over two decades and still has pretty
> decent traffic, but I would like to increase that by including my poetry on
> the website but I don't feel like making a page for each poem as I have a
> couple of hundred. I was wondering if there was a way to randomly include
> from a folder of my works a poem a day or something like that. I have them
> in word doc format and text at the moment. I used ASP to make formatting
> easier and have been using it in its simple form for awhile and I am certain
> there are more advanced features I am certain I am missing. Any assistance
> would be appreciated.
>

> R David Paine III / WeirDave
> weirdave at aol.com
> Find me at about.me/weirdave and http://www.weirdave.com

Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany
RockIt!

"CouchDB - Das Praxisbuch für Entwickler und Administratoren"
http://www.galileocomputing.de/2462
http://www.couchdb-buch.de

+++ english version is coming +++
http://www.couchdb-book.com