[html5] ASP and Random Text Files

Marcus Hansson themoran2 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:02:17 PDT 2012

Why not put the data in a database?

That way you'll be able to get a random (or just about any)
poem with a single file.

Unfortunately I can't help you with asp (never used it),
but you could take a look at the following for some reference:
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/databases/sql-for-beginners/
http://www.w3schools.com/aspnet/aspnet_dbconnection.asp

Also, as mentioned earlier, you could use Javascript and either
link to the file or embed it with a frame or what-not.

With some clever naming convention of your files (e.g. poem1.doc,
poem2.doc, etc.),
you could use something like (alert: pseudo-code):

// get a random number between 1 and 100
// (of course, this should map to your filenames in some way)
var article_id = Math.floor((Math.random()*100));

// and here you pull it in with ajax, or simply just create a link node in
the html
var article = ....

//Marcus