[html5] Distinguish main article from comments

Markus Ernst derernst at gmx.ch
Sun Nov 18 08:25:47 PST 2012

Hello

I follow the discussion on the <main> element in the WHATWG mailing list
and understand Ian's statements the way that everything not marked up as
content. Also, Steve Faulkner's spec draft seems to state that
everything which is not repeated across the pages of a site is
considered to be main content.

Now, there are some types of webpages with a main article, and user
comments; these are very common at news websites and blogs. I think it
would be useful to mark up the main article specifically in order to
give it a higher weight in search engines than the user contributed
comments. Also, Screen readers may want to inform the user that the main
article ends. But an <aside> seems to pull the comments too much apart
from the main article, as they are significantly more related to it than
e.g. advertisements.

Is this distinction covered by the current spec? Or, would it be a use
case for <main>?

(I hope this post is appropriate in this list - it seemed too non-expert
to me to be posted to the WHATWG list.)