[html5] validator.nu Web GUI -- How to validate against XHTML5?

Michael[tm] Smith mike at w3.org
Tue Nov 6 00:30:55 PST 2012

jama <jamappi at gmail.com>, 2012-11-06 08:52 +0100:

> On 06.11.2012 00:42, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> >Ah -- please try renaming the filename with a .xhtml extension instead of
> >.html
>
> Thanks! This seems to work reliably now for me!
>
> I suggest that you change the heuristics of the validator, though. Wouldn't
> it be more logical that it checks against XHTML5 if I choose the XHTML5
> preset, regardless whether the file extension is .html or .xhtml?

Actually I realize now that upstream http://validator.nu/ does that as
expected. The bad behavior you're seeing is only in the W3C Nu validator
and so is a bug that I need to figure out the cause of and fix. Sorry that
you had to be the one to discover it but I will try to get a fix made asap
so that others don't get bit by it.

  --Mike