[html5] <header>, <hgroup> and subheadings

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri May 3 16:23:11 PDT 2013

On Fri, 3 May 2013, Micky Hulse wrote (slightly edited):

> >> <h1>This is a section</h1>
> >> <article>
> >>   <h3>Tertiary heading</h3>
> >>   <h1>Primary heading</h1>
> >>   <h2>Secondary heading</h2>
> >> </article>
> >
> > This is equivalent to:
> >     <h1>This is a section</h1>
> >     <article>
> >       <h1>Tertiary heading</h1>
> >     </article>
> >     <article>
> >       <h1>Primary heading</h1>
> >       <section>
> >         <h1>Secondary heading</h1>
> >       </section>
> >     </article>
>
> Whoa! Really? I would have never guessed that's how it translates.
> Amazing.
>
> Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with that translation?

The first heading element (<h1>-<h6> or <hgroup>) of a sectioning content
element (article, aside, nav, section) or sectioning root element
(blockquote, body, details, dialog, fieldset, figure, td) is the heading
for that element. So in the example above, the <h3> is the heading of the
<article>. Then, if you find another heading with a lower rank (higher
number), e.g. an <h4> in this case, that starts a subsection. However, if
you find an element with a higher or equal rank, then that starts a new
section. The <h1> that follows the <h3> thus can't be a subsection of the
<h3> (since it's higher rank), so it must be a sibling section. Since the
sectioning content element here is an <article>, it essentially splits the
<article> in half. The <h2> after it is lower rank than the <h1>, so it
forms a subsection under the <h1>.

If you always use <h1>s (outside of <hgroup>s), and only ever have one per
sectioning content or sectioning root element, you don't have a problem,
since it's always clear which heading is associated with which section.
It's only when you bring <h2>-<h6> into the mix, or have multiple
equally-ranked headings in the same section, that things get hairy.

> I'd love to know of the tool or technique that could help me translate
> HTML5 markup into the example you provide above. :)

The algorithm is this one:

   http://whatwg.org/html#outline

...but admittedly it can be hard to follow.

HTH,