[html5] Usefulness of language annotations

jonathan chetwynd jay at peepo.com
Tue Aug 12 01:57:52 PDT 2014

Jens,

I’ve always found sic useful when reading.

considering parallel texts or multilingual texts such as War and Peace or The Name of the Rose
I would of thought required the publisher's use of lang.

similarly from an email of today: The area is called Smichov (=”place where people laugh”)
easily understood by the recipient, but perhaps not a machine?

i.e. where proper name is not translated, as is normal indicator is helpful.
Smith,

a photographer of dance refused to provide alt content, and I feel he was right.
his site showed flowing sequences, and the alt content would need to be a creative act.
one that is currently rare to non-existent.

so no easy answers, but on 2 we disagree at least in matters of creativity

as perhaps an extreme case freedom fries has a particular meaning,
but an annotation helps maintain that idiom over time, which may otherwise be lost.

~:"

Jonathan Chetwynd

~:" jay at peepo.com
http://www.peepo.com