[html5] Using <section> and <h1> … Theoretical?

Micky Hulse mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 8 19:11:49 PDT 2014

Hi Judith! Thanks for reply. :)

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Judith <judith at desplechin.com> wrote:

That makes sense to me.

Normally, the way I code up HTML5 docs, based on what I've read/seen
<h1> to kick off the top level heading for the elements … if there's
nested sections (or other) then I'll reset the headings and start with
<h1> again.

I've recently used <main> on a personal project (it's on the page only once).

I guess I was surprised to see people rallying against the usage of
what I thought was the "standard" way to mark up HTML5 documents.

A part of me kinda got the vibe that, at least in Steve's case, he was
kinda anti whatwg, and maybe stuck a little bit in the HTML4 world.

OTOH, I get his/their points about it being "theoretical". I also
understand what they mean when refering to SEO and screen readers.

But, isn't the point of using HTML5 "now" to help motivate browser and
screen reader companies get "on board" with the future way of doing
things?

If no one used <section> and <h1>, then there would be no reason to
change. We'd all be stuck using HTML4 markup.

Maybe I'm just missing the point of those articles?

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill here? :D

Too much coffee?

--
<git.io/micky>