[html5] Suggestion to close this list

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Thu Aug 24 02:17:33 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Zero Piraeus <schesis at gmail.com> wrote:
> The tag doesn't exist in any positive sense. You could replace
> "whatwg" with anything and find a similar page:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/cromulent
>
> It's also what the SO community calls a "meta tag" - it's going to be
> very unlikely that anyone has an on-topic question about the WHATWG
> itself. For questions about e.g. HTML an appropriate tag already
> exists; adding a "whatwg" tag would be redundant.

It seems that's how "w3c" is used today. And there is
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/whatwg-streams-api already.
But I don't think a question about HTML is necessarily about the HTML
Standard so having something to distinguish between the two seems
useful.

> Directing people to a "whatwg" SO tag without understanding the
> culture of the place you're sending people to is liable to elicit a
> forceful, negative response from SO's army of volunteer moderators.
> It's happened several times before to outfits (very) large and small.
>
> Maybe it's worth getting in touch with them first?
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/help/product-support

Sure. Thanks for the suggestion!

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/