[imps] Parse errors in implementation tests

Jim Evans james.h.evans.jr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 10:04:41 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:

> The validator.nu Java test harness for tokenizer tests does check that
> parse errors occur at the right spots. There's one test that fails because
> the parse error positioning relative to character token coalescing differs
> from the test case, so the test case assumes particular implementation
> details.

Yes, my tokenizer tests do the same.

> The validator.nu Java test harness for tree builder tests checks for zero
> errors vs. more than zero errors, but it doesn't check for the exact
> non-zero number of errors, because when I was implementing the tree builder,
> it seemed to me that the exact errors in some test cases were semibogus and
> in other cases it made usability sense to flatten multiple errors into one.

I must have misread the test harness code for the tree builder tests.
Admittedly, I'm no Java expert, and I just skimmed it and noticed the
comparison of expectedErrors.size() to actualErrors.size() is commented out.
At any rate, I feel like I'm no worse off than any other implementation, so
I ended up implementing the same basic check too, and I'm not going to worry
further.

Regards,
--Jim