[imps] setting up, and keeping up, the html5 validator.nu java servlet

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Aug 25 00:52:52 PDT 2010

On Aug 4, 2010, at 23:55, john gale wrote:

> Is there a recommended way of making the java webserver start at login, and continue running in the background?

I don't have a proper launchd-based answer for OS X. The deployments on validator.nu and html5.validator.nu run on Linux, and there's a cron job that runs a shell script that has  <&- 1>/dev/null 2>&1 & at the end of the java command. (The script in only run if there's an empty deployment trigger file for the cron job to find. The cron job essentially polls for the trigger file in the file system and removes the trigger after itself. The java process knows how to get rid of the previous java process.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/