[imps] validator front end not talking to servlet

Michael[tm] Smith mike at w3.org
Wed Apr 18 04:07:30 PDT 2012

Rancid Iodine <rancid.iodine at gmail.com>, 2012-04-17 17:57 +0100:

> It's possible to telnet to this service on that port (or indeed whatever
> other port xxx I make the servlet run on using "python build/build
> --port=xxx --local run "),

You should also be able to open http://localhost:8888 in your browser and
you'll get the validator.nu UI.

Which front end? The front end is at http://localhost:8888

> The problem is seen to be a "504 gateway timeout" according to the markup
> validator, and shown thus:
>
> External Checker not available
>
> Checking the Document Type of this document requires the help of an
> external tool which was either not enabled in this validator, or is
> currently unavailable. Check in the validator's system configuration that
> HTML5 Validator is enabled and functional.
>
> The error encountered was: 504 Gateway Time-out

Ah. Those messages are not coming from the validator.nu backend.

It seems like what you are doing is, you have an instance of the legacy W3C
validator service installed (either through some package or from the
sources at http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/markup-validator) and you are trying to
get that to communicate with the separate validator.nu instance you've
built and installed.

If that's the case I can't help you, because I don't work on that code. The
best places to get help are:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qa-dev/

As far as I can see from what you've described, the validator.nu backend is
working as expected. The problem is that your legacy W3C validator instance
is not reaching it for some reason.

FWIW, I'd recommend not running a legacy W3C validator instance at all.
Just make the front end at http://localhost:8888 available. It's capable
for checking HTML4 and XHTML1 documents, not just HTML5 docs. And it does a
much better job of checking HTML4 and XHTML1 docs than the legacy W3C
validator does.

  --Mike