[whatwg] [web-apps] Some comments

Olav Junker Kjær olav at olav.dk
Tue Aug 10 01:27:23 PDT 2004

>    The idea isn't to prevent webmasters from creating markup that
> doesn't degrade gracefully. The idea is to allow webmasters to create
> markup that degrades gracefully but still had the new functionality in
> compliant browsers.

Okay, I get it. In some cases authors would want to use only a few of
the new features on a otherwise vanilla HTML page, and in that case the
new feautures should degrade gracefully. The ability to gradually start
using the new features will help acceptance.

However there is still the question of how far the graceful degradation
should reach back. It would be a valuable guideline in the design
process, if this baseline was spelled out.

Olav Junker Kjær