[whatwg] [web-apps] Some comments

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 10 01:37:49 PDT 2004

Olav Junker Kjær wrote:
> Okay, I get it. In some cases authors would want to use only a few of
> the new features on a otherwise vanilla HTML page, and in that case the
> new feautures should degrade gracefully. The ability to gradually start
> using the new features will help acceptance.
>
> However there is still the question of how far the graceful degradation
> should reach back. It would be a valuable guideline in the design
> process, if this baseline was spelled out.

    A good point. Could you possibly elaborate on what you specifically
want as a baseline? Clearly, WA1 HTML markup that is capable of
gracefully degrading should degrade into HTML 4.01, but I'm not sure
that's what you meant. With regards to features, how they degrade will
likely need to be determined on a case-by-case basis.