[whatwg] Seperation of Content and Interface

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 05:17:22 PDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:10:11 -0400, Matthew Raymond
<mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
>    Is incremental rendering really possible for XHTML? For give my
> ignorance, but I was under the impression that according to
> specification an XHTML document has to validate entirely before being
> displayed.

Nope, there's nothing that says that, all the XML constraints are that
normal processing of the XML data does not continue once an error has
been found.  So in fact there's nothing stopping it continuing to
render all the content not as an XML document, but as some tag-soup,
since it would now not be passing it in the normal way, but it would
be passing it to a different error fix up routine.

> If that's the case, a compliant application can't start
> simply sticking to the letter of the spec?

Nope, see w3 mailing list archive for decisions from the HTML WG on
this, incremental rendering is perfectly conformant.

> I fail to see how members of the SVG and
> XForms work groups couldn't at least get an idea of what WA1 does.

I'm sure they could, I was talking personally.

Jim.