[whatwg] Seperation of Content and Interface

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 19 06:09:20 PDT 2004

Jim Ley wrote:
> Of course XHTML is, IE6 is the best XHTML browser IMO, it renders it
> far better than the others, it's incremental, it's fast, the only
> problem is you have to jump through hoops to make it even do it
> (although I've got a feeling it's not even possible in the current
> releases.)

You have got to be kidding!  You can't seriously believe that IE is
better at XHTML, considering the follwing problems:

1. Presenting a save dialog when served XHTML asplication/xhtml+xml.
2. Requiring XSLT to trick it into rendering XHTML 1.0 served as
    application/xml, which appears to prevent incremental rendering and
    makes it exceptionally slow.
3. giving the following error when served XHTML 1.1 as application/xml:

    Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error
    processing resource
    'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd'. Line 85,
    Position 2

    %xhtml-prefw-redecl.mod;
    -^

They're just the ones I know about, I'm sure there would be many more.
IE certainly does not support XHTML; it doesn't even fully support
HTML4.  It has only ever supported tag soup.

--
Lachlan Hunt

http://www.lachy.id.au/
lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au