[whatwg] Seperation of Content and Interface

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 06:33:03 PDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:09:20 +1000, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> You have got to be kidding!  You can't seriously believe that IE is
> better at XHTML, considering the follwing problems:
>
> 1. Presenting a save dialog when served XHTML asplication/xhtml+xml.

That can (or as I noted could it doesn't now work under my XP) be
changed by configuration.

> 2. Requiring XSLT to trick it into rendering XHTML 1.0 served as
>    application/xml, which appears to prevent incremental rendering and
>    makes it exceptionally slow.

Yep, that's awful, but that wasn't necessary, all you needed to do was
make IE render it.

> 3. giving the following error when served XHTML 1.1 as application/xml:

GOOD! I absolutely do not believe a browser should attempt to render
application/xml.  (it's also been fixed AIUI)

> They're just the ones I know about, I'm sure there would be many more.
> IE certainly does not support XHTML; it doesn't even fully support
> HTML4.  It has only ever supported tag soup.

Indeed, it shows how much better a tag-soup renderer is than Mozilla
in XHTML mode (Mozilla's tag-soup mode shows it to of course!)

Jim.