[whatwg] Seperation of Content and Interface

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 19 07:42:47 PDT 2004

Jim Ley wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:09:20 +1000, Lachlan Hunt
> <lachlan.hunt at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>3. giving the following error when served XHTML 1.1 as application/xml:
>
> GOOD! I absolutely do not believe a browser should attempt to render
> application/xml.

Why not?  It's been defined as an acceptable MIME type for XHTML, and
is, along with text/xml, the only registered type for any generic XML
document.

> (it's also been fixed AIUI)

What exactly has been fixed?

>>They're just the ones I know about, I'm sure there would be many more.
>>IE certainly does not support XHTML; it doesn't even fully support
>>HTML4.  It has only ever supported tag soup.
>
> Indeed, it shows how much better a tag-soup renderer is than Mozilla
> in XHTML mode (Mozilla's tag-soup mode shows it to of course!)

What?  The fact that it doesn't support HTML or XHTML at all, is your
reason for saying that it's better than a compliant XHTML UA‽  That
makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  Seriously, take a look at my site
in IE, and then tell me you still think IE is better at rendering,
compared with Mozilla and Opera!

--
Lachlan Hunt

http://www.lachy.id.au/