[whatwg] Doctype-triggered behavior and the <label> element

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 21 17:59:01 PDT 2004

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Matthew Thomas wrote:
>>On 31 Jul, 2004, at 7:00 AM, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>>>I recommend that, for HTML documents with the [WF2] doctype, there should
>>>always be a default option selected, regardless if that default is
>>>specified.
>>
>>I like that idea.
>
> I strongly disagree with adding more DOCTYPE-triggered behaviour changes.
> Quirks mode is enough trouble as it is. We don't need yet-more code paths.
> It makes testing hard. :-)

    How, then, do you justify changing the behavior of <label> with
regards to passing events to the associated control? Clearly, with this
change in behavior, browsers rendering documents that use <label> must
determine the type of the document in order to be both HTML 4.01 and WF2
compliant. Are you suggesting that user agents that are compliant with
WF2 should not be required to be compliant with HTML 4.01? For that
matter, aren't we deliberately forcing UA vendors to choose between
doctype-triggered behavior and HTML 4.01 nonconformance when the doctype
identifies the document as specifically being HTML 4.01?