[whatwg] Doctype-triggered behavior and the <label> element

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Aug 31 04:37:56 PDT 2004

Oops, missed this e-mail.

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:

> > > I like that idea.
> >
> > I strongly disagree with adding more DOCTYPE-triggered behaviour changes.
> > Quirks mode is enough trouble as it is. We don't need yet-more code paths.
> > It makes testing hard. :-)
>
> How, then, do you justify changing the behavior of <label> with regards
> to passing events to the associated control? Clearly, with this change
> in behavior, browsers rendering documents that use <label> must
> determine the type of the document in order to be both HTML 4.01 and WF2
> compliant.

It is my interpretation of the two specs that they are not mutually
contradictory.

However:

> Are you suggesting that user agents that are compliant with
> WF2 should not be required to be compliant with HTML 4.01?

Yes. WF2 changes several things, WA1 a few more. For example, the default
"media" for <link> and <style> elements in HTML4 is "screen", and in WA1
it is "all".

> For that matter, aren't we deliberately forcing UA vendors to choose
> between doctype-triggered behavior and HTML 4.01 nonconformance when the
> doctype identifies the document as specifically being HTML 4.01?

Not for the <label> case, but for some other cases, yes. However, in
almost all of these cases (for example the "media" one above), the vendors
have _already_ decided to forego HTML4 compliance, without WHATWG even
existing.