[whatwg] Incremental rendering of forms

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Dec 8 20:36:23 PST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Olav Junker Kjær wrote:

> > > I see the point of this feature in this use case, however couldn't
> > > the same effect be achieved by having just a single form and no
> > > form-attributes, but different action-attributes on the three submit
> > > buttons?
> >
> > In this case, yes, but in the broader case where some fields in the
> > form are required, that wouldn't work (you'd need to fill in the whole
> > form before you could submit the lookup part).
>
> But then it might as well be e.g. the product code that was required,
> and in that case you couldnt submit the lookup-form using the multiple
> form solution.

Yeah, like I said, it's not an optimal solution.

I'm not sure how to handle the case you describe (where one control has
different constraints based on which form is being submitted). None of the
ideas I've had or seen are really simple. (It's worth noting that XForms
doesn't handle this case either, in fact!)

The current solution is to fixup things via the onsubmit attribute (since
it fires just before validation). But that does rather suck.