[whatwg] Suggestion: <ignore> element.

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 00:34:23 PDT 2004

> Except of course that the language property proved to be a failure in
> this respect (too many people implemented it badly so you could never
> use it)

Lots of content uses it, and it was very helpful for defining
different versions of functions as the language and DOM0 were
evolving, in that it was known that if you had JavaScript1.2, you had
Array and Object literals, JavaScript1.4 gave you exceptions, etc.

We see occasional bugs filed where pages ask for JavaScript1.2 and are
surprised that they get it, because IE did botch their implementation
of equality operators for JavaScript1.2, but I think it's incorrect
that you could never use it, and I think it was generally implemented
correctly enough to be useful.  It's not as useful now, because the
language doesn't rev at all, really, but that's not the state that
WF2/WA1/WC1 are yet in.

Mike