[whatwg] Suggestion: <ignore> element.

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 04:14:05 PDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 03:34:23 -0400, Mike Shaver <mike.shaver at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Except of course that the language property proved to be a failure in
> > this respect (too many people implemented it badly so you could never
> > use it)
>
> Lots of content uses it, and it was very helpful for defining
> different versions of functions as the language and DOM0 were
> evolving, and I think it was generally implemented correctly
> enough to be useful.

This was never really my experience, too many of the marginal UA's
just ignored the property, and as you say the 1.2 implementations then
caused problems, I fear a similar approach with WF2 will lead to the
same problems.    In JS there's also the problem of really old UA's
simply not knowing about the language attribute at all, and ignoring
it.

Jim.