[whatwg] internationalization/localization

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 16:41:22 PDT 2004

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:14:52 +0100, Dean Edwards <dean at edwards.name> wrote:

> it might be a common requirement but i can't provide an example (apart
> from some corporate intranets i've worked on). this is because, despite
> your claims, it is not trivial to do with javascript.

Sure it is, either copy the inputted value into a hidden element, or
on submit strip the characters.  If that's not considered trivial then
I'm even more sure that scripting will not provide an appropriate
enhanced behaviour on legacy clients.

This isn't even behaviour I've seen asked for on comp.lang.javascript,
and a lot of the people asking don't even know how complicated a task
is when asking, so I don't believe that authors are not doing it
because of a percieved complicatedness.  For example I know you could
do it easily and safely, I'm confident I could (but have never been
asked) and lots of other folk I know creating sites.

Cheers,

Jim.