[whatwg] Re: some issues

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 17:09:03 PDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 00:19:44 +0100, Malcolm Rowe
<malcolm-what at farside.org.uk> wrote:
> Jim Ley writes:
> > So, as has been proposed, things like specific CSS properties for
> > styling date pickers, will be raised in the W3C CSS WG ?
>
> Sounds reasonable to me. WF2 controls could be styled via CSS in just the
> same way as any other form control.

could you give me a demo - say using Fantasai's interesting proposed
suggestions, of how they might be styled?

> And you're worried that this will continue once the DOCTYPE is
> finalised?

I understand from posts that part of the process here is to fix the
stuff in HTML 4.01 that was never implemented and cause problems.

> Of course, HTML UA's don't really use an SGML DTD to parse HTML in the first
> place,

Some do, well one might...

> and don't support some valid SGML SHORTTAG features either (NET, for
> example),

This isn't specified in the DTD, it's in the SGML Declaration:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/sgmldecl.html

> Anyway, I would be *extremely* surprised if a WF2 DTD were to be produced
> which caused valid HTML4 documents not to be valid 'HTML4 with WF2'
> documents. Is there any reason you seriously believe that this might be the
> case,

Hixie's sensible dislike of those things in specs which were never
implemented, and various other things said on the list.

Jim.