[whatwg] drop the 'www' subdomain on whatwg.org

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 18 20:55:41 PDT 2004

Anne van Kesteren (fora) wrote:

> Currently the WHATWG site is accessible in two ways, with or without the
> 'www' prefix. There are easy ways to solve this "problem":

So you want to reduce that accessibility to one way?  I don't think so!

>  <http://www.no-www.org/>

   There aren't many sites that *I've read* that contain complete
nonsense (though, I'm sure there are many that I haven't), but this is
now one of them.  Personally, I prefer to have the www on the URI
because it looks better, but I don't always type URIs one way or the other.

Currently, the WHAT WG classifies as a class A, according to that
nonsense.  So, obviously you want it changed to class B or C.

Class B requires redirect, so that's more time wasted sending another
request for anyone that types the www.  I guess the argument is the same
as for always including the trailing slash when linking to directories —
it reduces network traffic.

Class C will break any links and bookmarks that currently link with the
www subdomain, so definately *NOT*

Why bother going to the effort to change it to a class B or C, when it
works perfectly well without doing anything, and causes more problems by
doing so?

> Please do. Thanks,

No, Please Don't!

--