[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jul 19 00:54:02 PDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

> Can I just clarify that a _requirement_ of WF2 is that it is
> implementable using Internet Explorer Script Behaviors (HTCs)  ?

Yes.

> And that this is the consensus of the WHAT-WG ?  (or is it one of those
> non-negotiable things, that we're just supposed to know about.)

It is the concensus of the members. All the things that are the consensus
of the members are also things that are mostly "non-negotiable" (or more
to the point, are things that would require detailed and strong arguments
to change). For example, it is the consensus of the members that the
suggestions made on this mailing list should be taken into account, so
long as they fit within the guidelines. It is unlikely that discussion on
this mailing list would change that.

> How are these oninvalid events dealt with in legacy FireFox, Opera,
> Safari, Konqueror etc. ?

By not doing them at all. Legacy UAs are expected to not support WF2, and
thus WF2 degrades into current "stupid" HTML in those UAs. (This is also a
requirement. It has to degrade gracefully.) The only exception is the UA
that has nearly all of the market, and whose rendering engine is no longer
being developed. For that UA, we want to implement full WF2 support.