Javascript for degradation [ Re: [whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working ]

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 03:09:17 PDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:26:02 -0400, Matthew Raymond
<mattraymond at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> > No, but we're excluding a solution because it cannot be done in HTC's
>
>    Actually, I've tested <object> in IE, and the <object> element in my
> test didn't show up in the DOM using straight JScript, so I fail to see
> what HTC even has to do with it.

you can provide the enhancement in other ways, such as inline script
within the OBJECT element.  This isn't possible with HTC's, I've
already demonstrated an appropraite markup to allow for HTC support
too.

> > - that's my problem, even though HTC's are sub-optimal for the
> > majority of situations (look at the two proposed examples, neither use
> > HTC's)
>
>    Proposed examples?

http://whatwg.org/demos/

[javascript...]
>    I'll defer to Dean on this one, as he is the expert.

He is _an_ expert, you know what, there are other people who have
experience in HTC's in the world you know.

> http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-July/001205.html

This appears to be a comparison between object and datalist, rather
than a general discussion on Object.

> > (so you'd need the DIV for the HTC solution, whereas the inline script
> > wouldn't need the extra element)
>
>    Perhaps you should give us a HTML+Javascript example,

no time I'm afraid, I feel there's more than enough there for anyone
with any javascript experience - you don't even need to be competent -
to create an example.

Jim.