[whatwg] File Upload Control

Smith, Rolland Rolland.Smith at SPR.DOE.GOV
Thu Jul 22 09:41:09 PDT 2004

I figured you meant "prescribe". I also want to apologize for the image
in my first post. That's just a standard in my sig that I use at work
and I had not seen the list before I sent the email, nor do I post to
lists often, and lastly nor was I a member when I posted.

On to it - After reading your response I now have a better understanding
for how "spec formation" works. I was missing the part about the UA
decides on how the controls are displayed thinking that presentation
originated from HTML due to my experience with only using either
Mozilla, Netscape, or IE which of course leaves out a lot including
handicapped UA's.

Security issue - I now understand why you wouldn't want to be able to
change the appearance.

UA representation of the file upload control when multiple files allowed
- Well, now that I know what I know it doesn't seem like much of a topic
for this list and I apologize. I will say though that I think putting
all file paths/strings in one textbox for a given (say 3) number of file
uploads per control would be strange to me which is why I suggested 3
textboxes/3 browse buttons alongside each other OR rather a multi-select
box displaying all the files that will be uploaded. Enough on that.

CSS application to textboxes - I have applied size and display styles
with CSS many times to textboxes. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you
are telling me when you say that text boxes aren't stylable?

Regards,
Rolland Smith