[whatwg] Quick thought on the Combo Box problem...

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 30 07:36:31 PDT 2004

voracity wrote:
> You would need style="display:none" for legacy clients. The way you had
> it originally (empty elements with value attributes) was good, but I'd
> be happy with this as well.

    Oops! Wasn't paying attention!

<cl id="list1">
   <item value="Choice 1" />
   <item value="Choice 2" />
   <item value="Choice 3" />
</cl>

<cl id="cutcopy">
   <item accesskey="u" value="Cut" />
   <item accesskey="c" value="Copy" />
   <item accesskey="p" value="Paste" />
</cl>

<label for="combo1">Combo 1: </label>
<input type="text" id="combo1" list="list1" context="cutcopy" />
<label for="text1">Text 1: </label>
<input type="text" id="text1" context="cutcopy" />

> Actually, instead of 'list' as the attribute in the input, how about
> 'cl'? That way it would mimic the 'form' attribute for form elements
> that sit outside of a form.

    Because the <cl> element is used for the |context| attribute, so
having an attribute of the same name as the choice list element would be
confusing.

> Also, perhaps you want to split off the context menus as a separate
> proposal, since that would fall under Web Apps 1.0.

    I included it to give people an understanding that the choice list
may be used for other purposes. I don't what to see features implemented
in WF2 without consideration for the impact that might have on Web Apps
1.0. For instance, if I excluded the |context| attribute from this
discussion, what would be my argument for not renaming the |list|
attribute to |cl|?