[whatwg] Loading custom XML UI definitions from an external file

Simon Willison swillison at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:03:51 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Has anyone experimented with loading an XML file containing custom
user interface definitions from an external XML file using JavaScript,
then parsing that file and using it to create the interface itself
using the HTML DOM? Kind of like a client-side XUL implementation. The
XML document containing the XUL (or similar interface language) would
be loaded using XMLHTTP (IE or Mozilla version).

I've been thinking about using this as a kind of "code behind"
approach for adding simple form validation constraints to existing
HTML form elements, but it strikes me as a technique that might work
in the context of WHAT WG for defining a new interface language while
remaining backwards compatible with IE.

Cheers,

Simon Willison