[whatwg] Suggestion for a Specification: XUL Basic

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 9 20:29:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> I propose that the WHAT WG work on a specification for a subset of
> Mozilla XUL that for the purposes of this message I will call XUL Basic.
> XUL Basic will actually be the combination of two smaller XUL subsets
> which I will refer to as "Keymaster" and "Gatekeeper".

The parts of XUL that make sense for this work will indeed be merged into
the Web Apps spec.

>     box
>     hbox
>     vbox

These are presentational, and belong in CSS.

>     menu
>     menubar
>     menuitem
>     menupopup
>     menuseparator
>     tab
>     tabbox
>     tabpanel
>     tabpanels
>     tabs

Context menus, drop down menus, and tabs (as seen on Web pages now) are
needed, yes. I don't know that the XUL content model is the best though.

> The second subset, "Gatekeeper", is designed to provide basic support
> for forms that are similar in features to those you can currently create
> using HTML. This subset allows the creation of simple XUL-based web
> applications contained in their own dialogs or windows.

This is what Web Forms is supposed to be.