[whatwg] What improves Web applications?

Nigel McFarlane nrm at kingtide.com.au
Thu Jun 10 18:14:33 PDT 2004

I see this discussion on XUL-isms in HTML.

Before we all rush to "which tag has what groovy new feature",
it might be worthwhile reflecting on the differences between
HTML-based Web Applications and ordinary HTML documents from
the user's perspective.

Exactly how will applications written with these extensions be
better than they otherwise would?

Currently the only motivation we have is: "To make development
easier for developers". Does that imply there is no change in
the user experience from existing [D]HTML approaches? If not,
then what is the forecasted user impact? What is the core
advantage?

An alternative approach is just to say that we're working on
handy trinkets and let something emerge out of that when
people start playing with those trinkets. Surely more than
that can be said, though?

- Nigel.

Nigel McFarlane                                   nrm at kingtide.com.au
Services:                   Analysis, Programming, Writing, Education
Expertise:            Software, Telecommunications, Internet, Physics
"Rapid Application Development with Mozilla" / www.nigelmcfarlane.com