[whatwg] What improves Web applications?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jun 10 18:41:30 PDT 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Nigel McFarlane wrote:

> Currently the only motivation we have is: "To make development easier
> for developers". Does that imply there is no change in the user
> experience from existing [D]HTML approaches? If not, then what is the
> forecasted user impact? What is the core advantage?

The main concern at the moment has indeed been to make life easier for
developers. The fact that people have reimplemented Wolfenstein 3D in 5K
of javascript, or implemented Lemmings as a DHTML application, shows that
you can already do pretty much anything -- it's just not all that nice for
the programmers.

However, having said that, making things better for users is good too:
what do you think needs improving in terms of user experience with Web
applications?