[whatwg] What improves Web applications?

Pete Harlow peter.harlow at thales-transportservices.com
Thu Jun 17 00:14:33 PDT 2004

Thinking about my earlier reply to this post reminded me of something I
tried in the mid - nineties. My client at that time made railway ticket
vending machines. These generally had a PC inside, gubbins for handling
cash and something to code and print magnetic tickets. The PC generally
had a standalone application to generate the GUI, etc.

I tried a thin client approach - running Netscape and a web page with
plenty of forms and Javascript to do the GUI, selection by touch screen.

Anyway, the point is this. The devil was in the details, this particular
devil was getting data in and out of the coin system, ticket printer, etc.

If Web Apps had some hook in it to do this sort of communication by
passing XML fragments to peripherals, it could have a bright future in
this kind of application.

Regards,

Pete.

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Pete Harlow wrote:
>
>>A big plus point would be to prefetch the next page so it loads
>>immediately the 'next' button is clicked. Or a mechanism to load several
>>forms with one document which can be dealt with sequentially in the
>>browser window. People hate to wait.
>

> A mechanism to have multiple "sections" on one page is most definitely on
> the Web Apps 1.0 list ("mutually exclusive sections").

This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed,
copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited,
and may be unlawful.
If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
this message. Thales, its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete
transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.