[whatwg] Re: Web Forms 2: Altenative to <select editable>

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jun 22 09:56:31 PDT 2004

Ok I read the thread on <select editable> and here is a summary of the
ideas that seemed worth considering:

   <select editable name="test">
    <option>foo</option>
    <option>bar</option>
   </select>

Pro: Small markup.
Pro: Can seed from an external source.
Con: In down-level clients, can only select from the list.
Con: Can't strongly-type the data.

   <input type="email" name="test" data="#options">
   <select id="options" class="hide">
    <option>foo</option>
    <option>bar</option>
   </select>

Pro: Can strongly-type the data.
Pro: Can seed from an external source.
Con: In down-level clients, have to type entries even if they are in
     the list.
Con: Ugly markup. Dubious semantics.

   <fieldset>
    <input name="test">
    <select name="test">
     <option></option>
     <option>foo</option>
     <option>bar</option>
    </select>
   </fieldset>

Pro: Can strongly-type the data.
Pro: Can seed from an external source.
Pro: Sort of works in down-level clients.
Con: Hard to define well, even harder to implement, harder still to
     explain to authors how they should use it.
Con: Would always submit two name/value pairs.

   <input name="test" data="#options">
   <select name="test" id="options">
    <option></option>
    <option>foo</option>
    <option>bar</option>
   </select>

Pro: Can strongly-type the data.
Pro: Can seed from an external source.
Pro: Sort of works in down-level clients.
Con: Hard to explain to authors how they should use it.
Con: Would always submit two name/value pairs.

None of these are really good. I'll keep thinking about this, but if
anyone has any bright ideas, let the list know!