[whatwg] Scripting and accessibility (Was: Transition from Legacy to Native rendering)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jun 25 03:18:47 PDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

>> No, it's not. WF2 incorporates by reference DOM2 HTML and DOM3 Core,
>> among others. You can't implement a WF2 UA without support for them:
>
> So WF2 requires scripting support in the UA's?

As I pointed out, no, it doesn't:

# Implementations that do not support scripting (or which have their
# scripting features disabled) are exempt from supporting the events and
# DOM interfaces mentioned in this specification. Other aspects of this
# specification that are defined in terms of an events model must still
# act as if events were supported.

> Can I request once again that the WHATWG get some people with some
> accessibility knowledge into the WG since

This is a completely open mailing list, anyone can subscribe if they wish
to contribute. I happen to know there are several accessibility experts on
this list; they are all welcome to post their opinions and feedback will
be taken into account.

> requiring scripting is simply not possible, the AT's are simply not able
> to deal with it.

That is a bug with the assistive technologies. There is nothing about
scripting that intrinsicly makes it non-accessible, it is the APIs that
scripting interact with that can have accessibility problems.