[whatwg] Suggestion: "context" attribute

Martin Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Sat Jun 26 00:43:21 PDT 2004

Matthew Raymond <mattraymond at earthlink.net> writes on
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:16:37 +0200 (METDST):

> For clarity, I'm reposting my sample code:

> <input type="text" value="some text" context="myPopup">

> Martin Kutschker wrote:
> > Why abuse an attribute? I like the general idea, but would
> > favour either a new element instead of div or another new
> > attribute.
>
> And exactly how would that work? Like this?:

> <popup id="myPopup">
> </popup>
>
> <haspopup value="myPopup">
> <input type="text" value="some text">
> </haspopup>

No:

> <input type="text" value="some text" context="myPopup">

<input type="text" value="some text" context="myPopup">

I've had no problems with "context". But I'm stricly against rehashing elements or attributes. Especially if it's semantically an abuse.

> I have the following problems with this approach:
>
> 1) If you avoid the WF2 template model, it requires new two new tags,
> not one, as you can see.

I said that replacing diff *might* be an alternative.

> The repeat attribute already exists in WF2,
> so why not use it?

Because it was not meant for this and 'repeat="tenplate"' makes abosultely no sense for a popup. The naming is confusing.

> 2) It doesn't fix any of the problems from my previous example. The
> content inside the tag is still rendered in legacy UAs. Worse, at
> least with a <div> you could set the CSS property "display" to "none".

Well, Mozilla can handle unnown tags :-) But you're right introducing elements shouldn't be done light heartedly.

> 4) The context attribute already exists in XUL, and my solution only
> adds a single attribute. Why is this single attribute, which takes
> advantage of a preexisting WF2 feature, so offensive to you?

I didn't object to "context". Though I doubt if reusung a XUL attribute has any benefits. So this is the same to me:

<input type="text" value="some text" popupid="myPopup">