[whatwg] Suggestion: "context" attribute

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 26 04:59:41 PDT 2004

Martin Kutschker wrote:

> <input type="text" value="some text" context="myPopup">

    I see, you object to the abuse of the "repeat" attribute. The
problem here is we now have two attributes that effectively define the
same concept: "repeat" and "popup". I'm not sure if you've read the
other thread I posted, but I prefer the following solution:

<template id="myPopup"><!--
--></template>

<input type="text" value="some text" context="myPopup">

    This fixes the following problems:

1) It doesn't require multiple attribute definitions that use the same
concept: templates.

2) Since the contents of template are commented, legacy UAs won't render
it. The template element itself will be ignored by legacy UAs. So,
basically, this approach makes templates nonvisible of all UAs, unless
someone goes out of their way in to make the element visible. (Note that
the repeat="template" method requires both support for CSS and the use
of styling by the author to hide the template. Also, the styling in
question, which is listed in the WF2 spec, doesn't seem to work in IE 6.0.)

3) It's significantly easier for a web author to figure out that the

4) Since DOM supports access to comments, UAs with DOM and scripting
support can use a script to read the contents of <template> and generate
a popup accordingly.

> I've had no problems with "context". But I'm stricly against rehashing
 > elements or attributes. Especially if it's semantically an abuse.

    Well, with the solution above, the "repeat" attribute is only used
for non-templates, so you get something like this:

<template id="myItem"><!--
--></template>

<repeat>
<repeat>
<repeat>
<repeat>

    As you see, the repeat attribute, when used in conjunction with a
<template> element, only has numerical values. I would argue that this
makes the attribute even more pure than it was before.

> Because it was not meant for this and 'repeat="tenplate"' makes
 > abosultely no sense for a popup. The naming is confusing.

    Using <template> fixes that.

> Well, Mozilla can handle unnown tags :-) But you're right introducing
 > elements shouldn't be done light heartedly.

    The nice thing about the <template> solution is that for the price
of a single additional element, you eliminate part of an attribute and
gain additional flexibility.