[whatwg] Repetition model changes

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jun 27 02:02:20 PDT 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Anne van Kesteren (fora) wrote:

> Great changes. Especially the removed, unsemantic, not necessary element
> and the added 'repeat-min' and 'repeat-max' attributes.

Cool, glad you liked them.

>> 5. I haven't changed the [id] replacement thing. None of the other
>> proposals (autoname, appending numbers, appending numbers and dots, using
>> just the order of the controls, using strings that are unlikely to match
>> real content, etc) solved all the other use cases, IMHO. If you think I
>> missed a suggestion for replacing [id] let me know.
>
> This bugs me a bit, but validating documents delivered as
> application/*+xml isn't really necessary anyway.

Yeah.

> Would it be possible to enable syntax highlighting for the examples,
> just as you have done on your weblog a couple of times? I think it might
> make the examples easier to read.

Yeah, I'll probably do this when the spec is nearing completion. Not much
point doing it these days as I'm still changing the examples regularly --
an example with markup for syntax highlighting becomes nearly unreadable
when editing.

> It might make sense to add 'overflow:auto' to PRE elements so people
> won't get a horizontal scrollbar for the *entire* specification, just
> for the examples and other constructs which benefit from this.

Turns out the overflow is not actually caused by the examples per se.
There are a bunch of really long lines and big tables.