[whatwg] Order of repeating blocks; other misc comments

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 30 13:30:12 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Stuart Ballard wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Just include the repetition blocks with the values prefilled. There is
>> nothing special that happens if the repetition block is different than the
>> template.
>
> I think that "nothing special" is still something special, in a way - to
> the point that it took me some thought to figure out what you might mean
> by "nothing special" in this context.
>
> Presumably you mean that the repetition block is rendered exactly as
> sent and the content of the template is completely ignored.

I mean that the repetition block is just a <div>, or <tr>, or whatever,
and for the purposes of submission the whole repetition model is largely
ignored.

> I wonder if there might be value in having a way to specify that a
> repetition block should be instantiated explicitly, with particular
> field values, without having to produce the whole repetition block
> (including, potentially, a whole bunch of content that's fixed) several
> times over.

There is:

   http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#seeding

But if you want it to work in legacy UAs, you're going to have to copy the
text twice, indeed (once to fill it in, once for the template).