[whatwg] Textarea Wishlist

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 30 13:53:59 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Edmund Lai wrote:

> My wish is that textarea can also be specified as an input element,
> i.e. something like
> <input type="textarea" ...
> or better yet
> <input type="text" display="textarea" ...
>
> The reason is this, let say I want to clear all text fields within a
> fieldset, I would do a fieldSetNode.getElementsByTagName('input'), and
> then do the clearing, but then I missed all the textareas, so I have
> to repeat it for textarea. Sometimes I like the text input and
> textarea to be in the right order, then I cannot use
> getElementsByTagName at all. Things are much cleaner if textarea
> element can be written as input element.

Wouldn't it be easier to just add a "clear all controls" method on the
<fieldset> elements?

Or, probably better, simply add an "elements" DOM attribute to the
fieldset element that contains all the input nodes, and then you can
simply walk that and do whatever you want to it.

In fact that seems like a good idea. There, fieldsets now have an
"elements" attribute. That even solves the <select> problem. Enjoy.