[whatwg] Textarea Wishlist

Edmund Lai edmund.lai at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 12:47:44 PDT 2004

My wish is that textarea can also be specified as an input element,
i.e. something like
<input type="textarea" ...
or better yet
<input type="text" display="textarea" ...

The reason is this, let say I want to clear all text fields within a
fieldset, I would do a fieldSetNode.getElementsByTagName('input'), and
then do the clearing, but then I missed all the textareas, so I have
to repeat it for textarea. Sometimes I like the text input and
textarea to be in the right order, then I cannot use
getElementsByTagName at all. Things are much cleaner if textarea
element can be written as input element.

Of course there is still the problem that select element is not an
input element, but that may be harder to deal with.