[whatwg] link-types

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Nov 16 17:16:53 PST 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> We probably know the [link relationships] from HTML 4.01[1] and I think
> that list should be extended by WHATWG for HTML 5.0. Besides extending
> the current list of values, WHATWG should define what kind of mechanism
> for extending the list of values should be used, more on that in a
> minute.
>
> I also think that we should change "user agents may provide access to
> linked documents through a navigation bar" to 'should', since they are
> only useful if UAs do something with it.

It makes no sense for Google to offer a navigation bar for links. This
really seems like a "may", not a "should", issue, to me.

> Currently HTML 4.01[1] has defined a way of extending the link-types by
> using the PROFILE attribute on the HEAD element, this element points to
> a document which defines more link-type. In practice, this could be
> something as the XFN 1.1 meta data profile[2], developed by GMPG[3]. The
> problem is however that you don't know which link-type belongs to which
> profile. If you develop a new profile which extends or redefines a
> link-type, it becomes unclear which link-type should be used. Eric
> Scheid put up a (RFC) draft[4] regarding this issue, which is probably
> worth a look at when trying to solve this issue.

I think we should probably see what happens with that proposal before
getting our feet wet in that arena, especially given that link types are
less used directly by Web browsers than by robots (such as Technorati's)
and therefore are not immediately important to Web application UAs.

This is an area that is being looked at by GMPG people quite a lot, and I
don't want WHATWG to step on any toes here, especially given that we have
a lot of (for WHATWG's goals) other, more important issues to deal with.
However, significantly later in the Web Apps 1.0 cycle, or in preparation
for Web Apps 2.0, it may be worth revisiting the issue, so I would
recommend resending your comments at such a time.

Cheers,